- Learn how to define imagery and identify the five senses.
- Practice identifying examples of imagery by analyzing the menu of their favorite restaurant!
- Put a Halloween spin on the food descriptions they find in the menu of their favorite restaurant (For example, vanilla ice cream becomes vanilla mice cream!)
- Create their own halloween party food menu describing their favorite foods… with a scary twist!
Print and digital versions available!
- Google™ Slides
1. Four pages of Teacher Directions
- Focuses on defining imagery, identifying the five senses and examples of attention grabbing words used to describe food.
3. Info Sheet detailing the types of imagery and the five senses.
- Visual – Sight
- Olfactory – Smell
- Gustatory – Taste
- Tactile – Touch
- Auditory – Hearing
- Kinesthetic – Movement
- Organic – Emotion
4. List of 51 attention grabbing words to describe food to help students not only create their menu, but put a Halloween twist on the descriptions!
- For example, students can use words such as spine-chilling, bloodcurdling, or ghastly, to put a Halloween spin on traditional food descriptions on a menu.
5. Worksheet for students to practice identifying examples of imagery and the sense(s) being appealed to. Students will analyze the menu of their favorite restaurant, identifying attention grabbing words to describe the food (imagery) and the sense(s) being appealed to. They will then have to practice putting a Halloween twist to the original menu description.
Look at the example below!
- Traditional description: Gigantic melt in your mouth fudge brownie topped with decadent vanilla bean ice cream, drizzled with chocolate syrup.
- Halloween twist: A petrifyingly big, scorch your tongue fudge brownie, topped with chill-you-to-the-bonevanilla mice cream and slimy gummy worms! R.I.P to your taste buds!
6. Students create their own Halloween party menu using imagery to describe their favorite foods… with a scary twist!
7. Rubric included
8. Two Menu Templates
File Type: PDF & Google Slides
Total Pages: 25
Content Pages: 19